10 April 2014

All the gear but no idea

Yesterday I received a Facebook message from an old school friend who I haven't seen in ages. Surprised, I opened it expecting a "wna go for a drink?" type message. Oh no, that's not what followed. In typical Oxford High School fashion she invited me, and four others to an "outdoor fitness bootcamp"... I immediately agreed, thinking it'd be a great chance to catch up over a few squats. How wrong was I.

It was held at the Oxford University sports centre and only cost a grand total of £4. I turned up, a little nervous, feeling a bit sick, but ready to start. Until I walked out onto the track. There were about 20 other people, all dressed in lycra, showing off their perfectly toned legs (and bums) looking so perky and raring to go. By just looking at the statutesque figures around me I just knew I was going to struggle.

It was essentially High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which is where you do high intensity such as sprinting for 60 seconds, followed by low intensity such as walking for 30 seconds (or resting). It's been highly praised for burning fat and appeals to those who have a busy schedule as you only need to be exercising for a short period of time in order to see results. Anyway, there was a circuit including kettle bells, weights, tyres, weighted ropes etc which we completed in reps in groups of three. Following each 'station' we did cardio where the personal trainer took full advantage of the running track. We did sprints, full 400m, wheelbarrow runs and crawling to name a few. We even carried our partners and squatted them half way through the run. It was genuinely horrific to say the least. However, as much you don't want to admit it at the time, you know it's doing a bloody good job on sorting out your summer body.

After an hour we were done and my god was I happy it was over. Immediately everything hurt. My legs ache, my bum twinges, I can't feel my arms and god knows how bad I'll be tomorrow (those good old DOMS...) but as much as I hated it, I think I might be back next week...

L-R: Poppy (who's insanely fit), Faye, Charlotte, Loz, me

No comments:

Post a Comment